Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring Greening!

I LOVE spring cleaning.  Opening the windows and letting fresh air in soothes my soul.  Plus, it seems to be the one time a year that everyone participates in chores.  I can ask the hubby to do just about anything in the name of spring cleaning and it gets done.  Its almost as if spring is the nag instead of me.

Since I use a lot of cleaning products this time of year, I tend to make my own to save money and make sure that  my dog and my family are healthy and safe.  Today, I want to share my simple "recipes" for eco and budget friendly cleaners.
  • Abrasive Cleanser (use in place of toilet bowl cleaners and tile cleaners)  - Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 3 tablespoons of Kosher salt in a small mixing bowl.  Sprinkle the mixture onto counter tops, tile, or into the toilet bowl. If you need more cleaning power, add enough water to make a paste.  Put the paste onto the surface to be cleaned let it sit for a few minutes.  Then scrub with a damp rag.  
  • Mildew/Grease Remover (use in place of kitchen and bathroom spray cleaners) - Buy an empty spray bottle (I bought mine at a dollar store).  You can fill this bottle with equal parts of vinegar and water or equal parts lemon juice and water.  I use lemon juice and water for my stove top and bathroom and kitchen counters, and the vinegar on windows, mirrors, and glass.
  • Disinfectant (use instead of bleach) - 4 cups of water, 5 tablespoons of dish soap, and 50 drops of tea tree oil.  This works great on door handles and toys!
  • Oven Cleaner - Make a paste off baking soda and water and apply to the inside of your oven.  Let it sit at least 8 hours (I let mine sit overnight) and in the morning, scrub off buildup.  Finish off with a clean wet rag for a spotless interior!
  • Floor Cleaner - I use an eco-friendly commercial dish soap and warm water on my tile floors.  For my hardwood floors, I use a rag dampened with vinegar and water.  I only do this about twice a year.  The rest of the time I sweep, vacuum, or spot clean with plain water.  
What do you use during your spring cleaning?  

    No comments: